Saturday, October 11, 2008

Baju Raya

Josh and I try our best to match our baju raya every year at the insistence of the Zizster. Except this year she had trouble getting a match with the colour Josh picked out. She wore green but not the same tinge as ours. My, my, was she upset!

When I was growing up, I remembered the ritual of buying baju raya. I enjoyed wearing new stuff for the day but to have a whole new wardrobe for all the open houses we were invited to? You had to have 1 new baju melayu, shoes that match (this used to be the chapal), new songkok. Then you have to have new sneakers, shirt, pants and socks. Heck new underwear too! Of course a new haircut a few days before raya is compulsory.

I am sure to some, this is still the ritual that you go through with your kids. Don't get me wrong, It's not a bad thing as long as you can afford it. To some it becomes a stretch especially if you have 5 kids and one baking in the oven. Puasa and raya, to a point, has been commercialized. Ramadhan Bazaars forces you to buy more food than necessary. Raya forces you to buy clothes more than necessary. Whatever happened to moderation?

Hahahaa... I guess I just don't share the same enthusiasm as many about the raya season. I do enjoy Josh looking like me though. Now if I could sneak him out to the hairstylist and....

No comments: